Sunday, October 25, 2015

August 31, 2015

A baptism and changes

Yup, Rosibel got baptized! It was definitely one of the better baptism experiences I've had on the mission. We filled up Rigoberto's bus (real convenient that he's a bus driver, we didn't have to pay anything) and headed up to the mountains. Filled it up real good, no seats for the missionaries, so we're standing up in front with Rigoberto driving, down in the doorwell and everything. Had to cross a few rivers to get up there, and everyone had told us that we needed four wheel drive to get up there but nope, Rigoberto just plowed on right through, and we've got water coming in through the bus door but we made it through, several times, and I can't say that I have ever before offroaded in a school bus. We get wayyyy up in the mountains, up in the clouds, and then take a little hike to a big pool underneath a rock ledge. We have a short, and very simple service-hymn and scripture, honduran attention spans are pretty minimal and all the kids are just dying to jump in the water-and then we turn the time over to the actual baptism. Luis helps his mom down into the water, and with us up above them on the rock ledge, baptizes her and she comes up out of the water absolutely beaming. Then as soon as she's out of the water all the kids jump in and we set down to eat yucca and chicharrones (pig skins, pig cracklins, I forget what they're called in english). 

But yeah, my time in Morazan is up. I've got changes. It'll be interesting to see where I go. The rumors, which are usually pretty accurate because president loves to gossip and let secrets slip, is that I'm headed for satelite, right in the heart of san pedro sula. Big city, big wards, lots of members, and lots of baptisms. Also dangerous-there's no sisters there and I'm gonna have to learn to be careful; we're still in Honduras here but It doesn't feel like it, I've never once felt threatened in Morazan. It'll be a change for sure, no more agriculture! I also won't be training, so who knows what I'll do. I'm really over the whole aspiring for leadership positions thing, I'm halfway hoping they just let me be a regular missionary for a little while so I can tear it up in my own area without worrying about other missionaries and all that stuff. 

Morazan has been great though-I'm really proud of the work we've down here and the difference we've made. Lots of solid converts, and we've really grown the church. I'll be sad to leave. I've grown a lot here and I feel like I've really come into my own here. I'm a whole lot more confident, I know what I'm doing, and I've learned alot about how the mission, church, and the spirit work. 

We've definitely had some success this week-Wilmer has given up coffee, Denia got permision to take sundays off and come to church (and came, and was the first person there-I wish I could be here to see her baptism) and we found some good new people, including one hermana that was really interesting-we talked alot about her relationship with God and helping her not feel dead inside as pertaining to religious things and actually feeling like there's someone out there-and we got her to pray and she started out real timid at first but then she got going and by the end there were tears coming out of her eyes. She still didn't go to church this week, but we did our job. 

I'm noticing that more and more as I spend more time here-we can't convince anybody, the Lord knows who he wants in his church and its his work, not mine-we just have to do our jobs and open our mouths and give them the chance to listen to what the lord is saying. We have to rely on the spirit. And if people don't want to listen, that's their choice, que le vaya bien. I just keep thinking more and more about how little the outside world actually matters. I know what's true and I know what I know, and I can stand independent above all other influences. I just want to raise my family in the right way and I'll do that, the world be damned. At this point I feel like the whole church could apostasize and fall away and I would be just as spiritually sound sitting in sacrament meeting with just my family and president Monson. It's still incredibly frustrating when people don't want to change, when they let laziness get the best of them, when they listen to what their neighbors say, when they don't want to act on answers they recieve, and when they let their heads get filled up with all the drivel and stupidity and outright lies that the other churches spew out of their chapels. (sidenote, I love catholics, as in, the people, but the catholic church in general...I have never encountered so many outright lies, falsehoods, and brainwashing as I have in the catholic priests here). 

And, my struggles with the other companionship are over! both he and I are out of here. One less stress, til I arrive in my new area and have something worse. The other night they came over to spend the night (they were there waiting for us, in street clothes, calling us at 9 oclock asking us where we were-just not the right mindset. It was a sunday night, they were checked out, party mode-just not centered in the work) so I started to unlock the gate and then asked them how many contacts they have (we made goals in the zone to talk to x amount of people every day in the street) and they were two short of the goal...So I shut the lock, turned around, and said "alright, lets go contact!" 9:30 at night, they're in street clothes...they just about died, my comp is laughing himself to death, just loving it, they're grumbling, but we walked the streets and ended up contacting two groups of high school kids-kind of fearful situations but we did it anyway and helped them lose some fear and not be such bums. I'm just glad we get along so good or they'd probably hate me. 

That's all I got for you all, I wish I had some more spiritual thoughts but it's been an incredibly busy and stressful week and I haven't had much time to think about writing anything down for you all. 

Most of all, I want to hear about provo! What's it like? And send me better pictures! People, mountains, stuff like that! Sarah's thoughts? I'm glad she's already loving it so much, I think she's gonna have a great experience. 

Also, I don't have any internet, I may have to send you the pictures another day. I'm trying. 

Anyways, say hi to everybody for me, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about the trip! Love and miss you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment