Monday, March 30, 2015

March 29, 2015
 
Hey everybody! 

Am I even in Honduras?  (we think this looks like the White Mountains in AZ!)
Short on time here, still in contact with just about everybody, had 21 emails today, still waiting for things to slack off! Still talk to Orrin, Matt, Jenn, Mikayla, Lexi, Elder Cluff, and corey, jason, connor, and misceallenous old friends every now and then. 

 But yeah, the church is just completely new. Literally. People don't know about the church here. 


Elder Hansen and Elder
 
 
Companion is good. He's not turned out to be as hardworking as he seemed at first but I'm still real happy to be working with him. 

If there's time I'll tell you about our people here but for now it sufficeth me to say that I love them! My favorite is probably Javier-he got baptized last month. When they found him he was a cocaine and marijuana addict-my comp and his comp anterior found him, married him up, and now he is an outstanding family man and he and his 14 year old son, who's the best kid i've ever met, are gonna recieve the priesthood next week. I get a little emotional just thinking about them. And his wife is the best and has been through hell and is now reaping the blessings. We actually dug a well for them (or, helped) and it was about 17 feet deep...woo. 

Food is way better, and cheap. I have a ton of money left over, because we have dinner every single day and sometimes 2 or 3. Food's way cheaper too. I drink alot of water to balance out the soda but I drink alot of coke too, nothing quenches thirst like a nice partially frozen bag of pepsi. 

And bre and sam, thats cool! Peru will be a super interesting mission. Argentina-I don't know, everyone here hates argentina. It's like the uppity, liberal, presumptious place of latin america. I know the church is real strong there though. 

Here's my little update;

Two baptisms next weekend, in between conference sessions-marta and jenny, two sisters, and they're already leaving with the sister missionaries and attending all the stake youth activities and are usually the first ones at church. Then their parents once we get them married. 

Attached is a picture of manuel, the craziest son of a gun I know. We went up to the mountains to cut wood with him the other day and this 110 pound man carried about 150 pounds of wood on his back down the mountain. We found a beehive while we were up there and he's like "I'm gonna get the honey" so he sets in to hacking away this beehive with a machete and swatting bees and screaming all at the same time, then he holds up the honeycomb like a trophy above his head, and then by then the bees are pretty ornery and all of us are running down the mountain screaming like girls and swatting bees. Fun stuff. 
 

Another interesting thing, this place is in an active war against cartels and any kind of gang activity. Last week I didn't realize how serious it was but this week we heard about a bunch of bodies that were found-basically what happened is that fingers of established gangs in san pedro tried to establish themselves here, and the town men got together and formed their vigilante group and killed them all with machetes and their bodies were found up in the mountains. I'm real proud of them and I'm glad to be in a town where the gang stuff doesn't fly. 

Also the honduran government is the most corrupt thing I have ever experienced in my life and I am sure the powers that be in this country will have some serious answering to do for their sins in the next life. 

Also, I had a little mishap with my mp3, so...could you send me more talks?? I accidentally erased them. Also, could you throw in a copy of my patriarchal blessing in this package? 

Also, the family history booklet has spaces for memories/special things about relatives...anything else I may not know about any of my predecessors? 

 Is Dad really gonna get the ram? that would be sweet. And the avacado tree! all the cold you had didn't kill it? Have sarah send me more pictures of her and the horse. 

As far as BYU, really the only class that was garbage was poli sci. Loved the rest. American Heritage was probably my favorite, all the profs are great but I had karpowitz. Took Stats, finite mathematics, loved accounting, can't remember the rest but I took mission prep and new testament for religion classes and really liked New Testament. Ludlow was the professor. careful with the credit hours though, I was just about choc full with 13 hours. wouldn't do any more than that the first semester. Love you all, gonna send some

No comments:

Post a Comment