Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July 20, 2015

Had a real interesting week, this might be one of my more entertaining emails! Here's what I've done this week, in no particular order.
First, I up and became a pineapple farmer. Javier Ramos is breaking into to the pineapple industry and he contracted us to go up to his mountain. We hiked up the steepest, slippery slope I've ever climbed, and then did it a few times with huge sacks of pineapple shoots on our backs. Hate hills, after morazan I'm a big fan of flat ground. All things said and done we planted about 500 pineapples. It's done by pounding the ground with a big iron bar like you'd use to break up concrete-to break the hard ground, and then you scoop a hole out of the loose rocks and wedge the pineapple in and cover it with more dirt and rocks and move on. two plants side by side, in parrallel rows a foot apart, rows 3 feet apart. The plants are super hardy and just need a little water and they shoot their roots in. The plants get big too. And prickly. My hands are torn to shreds. It's hard, hot work. The sun beats down on the slope and we're working in the sun the whole time. The metal bar gets real heavy after a while but I did enjoy, it was a cool experience and now I know how to grow pineapple. And it reaffirmed my desire to get an education without a doubt, funny how breaking your back under the beating sun will do that to ya.

Also helped a couple investigators bring down their firewood for the week, which is another backbreaking experience. They all look at me and they're like "oh, you're big, you must be strong, you take the big one" jokes on them, and I'm too prideful to tell them otherwise. So thanks to my pride, they're all strolling down the mountain with dry pine logs and I'm suffering my way down with a solid, wet oak log. I'm still hurting from it. They're good investigators though, they've all got baptism dates and they're young men which is what we desperately need. Good guys, they have their heads on straight.
Also had an absolute blast the other night, we got invited to a birthday party of a part member family so we went and enjoyed the heck out of ourselves. All missionary appropriate, of course, but I'm a firm believer in working hard without taking myself too seriously. I want you all to picture the most stereotypical mexican party you can imagine-the dad, the head of the household, is strumming his guitar in cowboy boots with a silver plated pistol stuck in his pants. balloons, and just a whole bunch of happiness surrounded by walls of cinderblocks and razor wire. The dad knows I like mariachi music so he calls me up to sing with him and I just happen to know the song he wants to sing so we're up in front singing "El Rey" by Vincente Fernandez (and george strait sings it too) just belting it out like a couple of drunks in Tijuana. Then we ate and had cake and had a good old time. And they had real mexican food! I haven't had mexican food mexican food since I've been here. As in, refried/mexican style beans and tortillas and meat and chipotle style food. Honduran food is nothing like mexican food. Fun time.

And for my little district leader moment of the week-the other companionship of elders here has had some trouble with getting out of bed, leaving the house, and working, so we got the idea into our heads to go wake them up and study with them and get their rears in gear. And my comp was down and excited, he's such a great kid. He's gonna be my favorite companion I think, couldn't ask for a better comp. So we stop by a pulperia, buy them breakfast in a bag, and then get to their house, hop the security fence without getting shot, and then we start pounding on their door like crazy. Woke them up, they come to the door all bleary eyed, and we start shouting "Why didn't you answer the phone?? Pack your crap now, we gotta go! Kevin says we have to leave Morazan now!" And their freaking out, thinking we're getting emergency whitewashed (which supposedly happens every now and then, whenever the cartel or the local gangs get too antsy) and when they're all good and awake with adrenaline I came clean and gave them their breakfast and we sat down and had a good laugh. Then we studied, then did comp study, and they were able to get out of the house at 10, on time, and have some good appointments in the morning.

I think that's all the stories I got for ya. Had some really cool experiences this week. We ended the week with 7 people that have a baptism date-this has been our struggle recently, getting people set up with fecha-so we practiced, did some trainings, and put in practice what PMG and our leaders say and it works. Also learned alot about how to make things happen as a DL. Training, practice, and motivation. We ended the week with 12 with fecha in between the three companionships too, so we're seeing success all around. The exciting parts about this week are the two young men we found, The Ortiz family is gonna get married and Luis is the most solid convert anyone could ask for-he leaves with the missionaries and does a stellar job. Quoting scripture, testifying, explaining things-and he's a great example to his friends and always defends the church. There is actually a fair amount of persecution here but he handles it really well-he's proud of his beliefs and is respected for it.
Still trying to improve all the time in being a DL. And as a default leader in the branch. What made Dad a good bishop? Tell me, both of you, what did you do good? Weak points, strong points?

And the Branch is good. We actually have pretty good leadership, I don't want you to think that we do everythingggg. Kevin, our branch president, is pretty solid, and he recieved more training from the stake presidency. wE don't do any training or anything like that, that's a little above our paygrade. Just leading by example and putting our input when appropriate.
It is exciting though, seeing the growth. Sometimes it feels really slow but when you step back and look at the big picture, as well as the changes made in individual lives, it really is incredible. I still wake up some days thinking "woah...I'm in Honduras" it doesn't seem real sometimes.

And thanks for the tidbits about the grandparents! That's exactly what I'm looking for. But give me more! I want more, just for me as well. Funny stories, your memories of them, personality traits, careers, things like that. And if you can of my great grandparents too.
And believe it or not I do miss the ocean. I love the weather that living on the coast brings too. I'm glad you're enjoying the ft pierce inlet, If I'm thinking of the right one I fished that one a couple of times. Pretty spot, pretty water. Too many people.

Also, the book sounds like a good one, I thoroughly enjoyed how to kill a mockingbird. I think my favorite books are still A Land Remembered and Half Broke Horses and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. But keep on making that post mish list for me, I miss reading just to read.
And no way, you guys are the coolest parents around. Cross country road trips, surfing, exploring springs, guns, fishing, boats, and just whitetrashin' it up in general. The boys couldn't have it any better. All though I'm still waiting on some wekiva river pictures.

And sounds like Kate's having a blast haha Utah sure is a different world. Loved the pictures, Utah is a cool place! Still don't want to live there for more than my schooling years but I sure like to visit! Its best to just have friends in Utah that you get to visit. Allthough I could really enjoy myself in southern utah. Tell kate to keep me posted on her trip, I'm glad she's having such a good time!
Also, just to let yall know, I've really learned to enjoy cooking. I've perfected french toast and pancakes. Float me some breakfast recipes. Ingredients aren't too tricky, just keep it simple, but remember there's only a frying pan-no oven, nothing like that.

And to answer curtis's question, cheeseburger, no doubt. I now hate balleadas after getting sick from a bad one in the street.
What are the boys up to? Besides slaving? Any fishing or surfing or anything? Did you all see the news of the shark attack at the world surf competition? Hondurans are fascinated with sharks (haven't a clue why) and it's been playing on the news all day.

And sarah, getting all ready to go! That's exciting. That was such a weird period in my life. Really on of the harder periods of my life. Good luck with everything! My Zone leader goes home this week and he wants to take you out when you're in Utah if you want haha he's a good guy.
And the family reunions, you better believe it! annually would be better. Florida or arizona, we'd have a blast. beach, mountains, or just at home in florida, or somewhere in between.

I've waxed long now, time to quit writing. Thanks for keeping me posted, love you all!
eating with the ramos family. We bought the food and they cooked it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment