Monday, November 24, 2014


Scott's Bishop (Spencer) is the third from left and his wife is on the far right.  They are in Honduras doing dental service for perspective elders.  They met with Scott's mission president and his wife who are on the far left.  The Spencers are going to Roatan after they are finished and will get to see Scott.
Pday with companion Elder Vasquez - Doesn't that water look tempting?!
 
 
Hey, the spencers! That's cool, I can't wait to see them! What exactly are they doing? Why do they have the plaques? And yes, I am confident that they can take us out. I will call President this week to make sure its all kosher but I don't think it will be a problem. Bishop may have already talked with him about it. I hope they can make it to church, its always an adventure. And, if they're still wondering, the aiport is only like 15 minutes tops from the church-but if their taxi can take them straight there its like 10. And tell them to watch out for the taxi drivers, they will charge unreal amounts from white people. 

So first, I'll answer your questions, so I don't forget later. 

I'm doing great. Language is good and spirits are high. Usually my week is great monday and tuesday, wednesday and thursday are pretty rough, and then the weekend is great again. Not sure why but that's always how it goes. No worries though, I'm still getting better everyday. And today after we're done writing we're gonna take a bus to one of the best beaches (look up west bay (or west end-can't remember which, one is nasty and one is awesome-to see what it looks like) and we'll play frisbe or catch or something as a district and then eat in a ritzy restuarant that gives us a 50% missionary discount. Then we'll come back, grocery shop, and then go back to work at 6. Alonzo came to church but the family is living in another part of the island that we won't visit til next week so we'll see. Not worried about the brother, and alonzo is reading the liahona every day so is improving. Still writing Jenny, for now. She may have found a boyfriend over the week in provo, who knows. And the boy in chains! Jose Roberto. Small kid. 16, black. our negrito. His mom, is this big white lady who is actually black by blood (skin condition, who know? picture a black woman with white skin) She put chains on her boy to keep him home cause he was always running around in the street and getting in trouble with his friends so she chained him home. She's always saying that he needs the lord and needs to quit running around on the street (being on the street is a euphamism for basically everything a person could do on the street-means drinking, smoking, gambling, whatever, excpet that when jose is on the streets he's just running around with the neighborhood kids) but she herself is frequently found at the little house of sin across from their neighborhood where everybody's drinking and  all. She's hard to love. We're teaching jose but he can't read so its a struggle. He really wants it but he just doesn't have it in him to show up for appointments and when we go and seek him out he'll be just about to leave or whatever and is just hard to get ahold of. But he loves going to church at least. 

Thanksgiving sounds fun, I expect some pictures. Ya know, I didn't really think about it til you mentioned it. Don't get me wrong, im super excitied for the spencers, but until you mentioned it....didn' even cross my mind. Which is a good sign! Plus, yeah...they don't really celebrate thanksgiving here. Some islanders do, cause of the american influence, but...most hondurans are mostly of native blood and the natives really got the shaft with the whole thanksgiving/white people coming to the new world thing.  Christmas, on the other hand...I'm gonna have a really good christmas actually. But it's already making me baggy. No problem though. It'll probably be the most meaningful christmas I'll have yet. And I can't wait for the packages! Also, speaking of christmas-we're allowed to listen to christmas music-any chance you could send me some mp3 files of christmas songs? Not sure how that all works but the other elders do it and they can show me how if you send the files. Just the stuff we have in the house-some of the Alan Jackson songs and josh groban. And Alabama's "Chritmas in Dixie". Ya know, just to make me homesick and all. 

Anyways, I wish I had more time! I got some emails that were important from friends (Hyrum, Matt, Orrin, and all them)I had to give good responses to, and mission president letters, so I'm a little short on time. Mission rule is two hours. So, I figured you all would rather hear about Roatan and all that than hear my replies to everyone's updates, but rest assured I love reading them. I love hearing about all the little stuff. And the pictures! Everyone looks a little older already. I can't imagine coming back to everyone two years older. Anyways, heres my update, small plate version:

 
I'm thinking in spanish now! Well, spanglish sometimes, but that's exciting. The language isn't holding me back anymore. Still a struggle and always will be but I can fully participate in any conversation about religion. 

 Struggling a litle bit with decisiveness (spelling? no clue) and time management. My comp is very slow and methodical and likes to think everything out before we do anything and I always just want to go and contact or something when an appointment falls through. So we're still finding the balance there. But, Vasquz and I are great. Besides that we don't have any issues or anything and we have a good time. And I've really been noticing how we work with the spirit...There's been many times where I get the impression to change the subject and talk about something else and as I'm about to start in he starts, and says the exact thing, word for word, that was on my mind. So its pretty cool we're working in a little trio with the spirit. 

 
And I've told you a little about Bucho, my favorite investigator-hes the native islander, fisherman, who worked in florida for a while, old black dude, likes western movies and john wayne, cool guy-we should have a date for his baptism set tomorrow, so pray for him if you will. 

 and we did alot of contacting this week and have a whole pile of golden investigators to teach next week-who can read, are married, aren't religious but want to be, and will probably be able to afford to come to church. So that's exciting. 

 And man, its incredible the joy you feel when you see an investigator walk in the chapel doors, that came of their own free will-thats cool.

And the amount of personal revelation I have been recieving lately is unreal. What an opportunity to be so immersed in the gospel; there's nothing to keep us from the spirit or revelation. It's really miraculous. 

So yeah, I have a ton else to tell yall about but my timer on the computer is ticking. Just missionary work, hot dusty streets, filth, super friendly drunk people, and balleadas. Life is good, and I'm hanging in here. 

Love you all, keep the updates coming! 

No comments:

Post a Comment